Monday, July 08, 2013

We're Back!

So I'm tired. Today was a little nuts, as I knew it would be with three of us now having treatment. I ask for your forgiveness in advance if this post ends up being a little choppy! 
But let me say how awesome it was walking through the doors of the Hansa Center again!  It was so great to see the smiling, caring faces of those we had gotten to know this spring welcoming us back, and graciously welcoming Luca. There were a lot of hugs today, and that's really cool because you don't usually get those at your typical doctors office!
The Hansa swans - and now babies!

Mondays at Hansa are different because that's when the initial testing happens and new patients begin their treatment. To recap from my explanation in previous posts, the CRT involves measuring the temperature of over 100 points on the body, then subjecting it to cool temperatures for 10 minutes and retaking the temperature at the same points.  And with CRT testing comes rules... No coffee, shower, deodorant, lotions, make-up, bra, or brushing your teeth. It's very much "patients in the raw" on Monday mornings, and today I really came to appreciate my cup of coffee!
But anyway, Bella and I had our retesting to determine our progress and what else our body is saying in terms if dysfunction, and Luca had his initial test. 
After my test, I practically sprinted back to the hotel to clean up and downed a cup of coffee before getting back for Luca's first appointment with the founder of Hansa, Dr. Jernigan. 

We went over Luca's CRT results, and we learned that his body is mirroring exactly what is happening in Luca's mind. It is almost globally hyperactive in terms of its response to stress (in the case of the CRT test, the body's reaction to exposure to a lower room temperature.) 
We also learned that Luca is actually dealing with Lyme rather well. However, he is dealing with other bacteria, viruses, parasites, hormonal issues and cranial and joint fixations.  We also talked a lot about Luca's nightmares and night sweats.  We have even hypothesized that Luca's extreme reactions to many stresses may actually stem back to a terrible vaccination reaction he had when he was 11 months old. 
The awesome part is that Dr. Jernigan is totally confident that he can help Luca break his struggle with a chaotic mind and body, as well as free him from nightmares and hypersensitivities to everything from bug bites to food!  That really brought serious peace to our hearts :). Luca rolled through lots of therapies today, and he did awesome. He loves it here already, and we are so happy for him. 
Luca making some cool toxic soup in his ionic foot bath.
My appointment with Dr. Jowdy was next. My CRT results had improved - and I have improved. I walked out of Hansa in May and literally left my chronic pain behind. I have not since had a day of feeling like I had the flu, like I couldn't concentrate or think, or pain all over my body. All of that is gone from me now, and I feel so very free - like I need to go out and do something really active... or big!  It has really been a huge and wonderful change in my life. 
My results still showed a level of hyperactivity in my body, as well, though. An autonomic dysfunction to stress that is still causing me to have some serious symptoms such has heart arrhythmias (which, at times, keep me awake at night for hours on end.) My adrenal glands, and therefore many other hormones, are still quite out of whack due to damage from Lyme and the treatments I had been previously exposed to. 
The great thing about today is that I only tested for four things that needed to be addressed (yes - some of them quite big), rather than a mile long list like before. And even though I have been feeling kind of crappy for the last two weeks, it pales in comparison to the mess I was before I went to Hansa in April. 
And so for this week we have a plan for me, and still plenty of work to do. 

And then came Bella's turn with Dr. Jernigan. Her CRT test results were actually quite impressive. She is really doing great, and the test proved it. She is basically asymptomatic now, but her digestion still could use some improving. She actually tested for h. Pylori, which is very common in a child who has had such a long-term exposure to antibiotic treatment the way Bella had for Lyme.  She is pretty much a rock star when it comes to beating Lyme, and we are so thankful for the way God has delivered her from this nasty disease.  
This week Bella will still do some detoxifying and some lymphatic drainage therapies, and we expect her to return home all tuned-up and ready to take on the world!

Today was also really cool because I got to meet, in person, two people who I had the pleasure of meeting online through my blog.  What's really cool is that both of them decided to go to Hansa for treatment, and that God allowed them both to be there at the same time I am returning!  It brings my heart such joy to know that these two beautiful ladies are in for such a blessing and a redemption of their health.  I will only get to spend the week with them, but I know that by the end of week two, they will be well on their way to optimum health!

And with that, I am going to sign off for today.  I am so grateful for your gracious words of encouragement and prayers for Luca, Bella and me.  We are humbled and blessed by your support :)

Thanks for checking in!

2 comments:

KarenH said...

Keri, Thanks for blogging your family's journey! This is a witness to the divine wonders of our human bodies & the Lord's guidance & healing in your lives. "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14.

Covenant Mortgage said...

Praying for you! -Karen