Saturday, May 04, 2013

Day 10... Victory!

I can't describe what it felt like walking into the Hansa Center this morning.  Physically, I felt really good, and I was incredibly thankful that all of the work we've put my body through these past 2 weeks was paying off.  I woke up this morning and felt better than I have for a long time.
But we were sad.  The wonderful people there have become like a little family to us, and we will miss them.
Here are a couple of pictures I took first thing in the morning...
 Bella and Tressa... my friend and guest blogger from yesterday :)
 Bella and Kendra, her sweet friend, getting their foot baths on!
Bella, and "Mama Hansa" herself, Diana.  Oh how we love her.

My appointment with Dr. Jowdy was the first thing in the morning.  We basically wrapped things up, and went over each symptom that I started with.  I am pretty impressed at how far I've come in such a short period of time!  When you put it into perspective against the 3 years of antibiotics I've been on without getting well, this is miraculous.  The pieces were falling into place, and I walked into that office feeling victorous.  For the first time in 3 years, I knew in my heart that I was winning this battle.  
I can't thank him enough for how he has helped me.  
I will see Dr. Jowdy again in July for a follow-up - at the same time we will bring Luca for his initial treatment.

Bella's appointment with Dr. Jernigan was right after lunch, and he is so proud of her and how far she's come.  It's like a switch was flipped, and this girl has new life that she's probably never known, since she's had this since birth.  She's been bouncing off the walls here, and I can understand why.  I've seriously never seen her like this.
After her appointment, Bella proclaimed her healing and rang the well bell with Dr. Jernigan proudly at her side.  I was overcome with joy as my eyes welled up with tears for my baby girl.  

After we said our goodbyes to the wonderful people who have taken such good care of us these past two weeks, Bella and Kendra spent some time together outside at the pond.  I was happy that they were together, because it made saying goodbye to the Hansa people that much easier for Bella.  They became friends so quickly.  I've never heard Bella call someone her best friend forever.  These two share a special bond that not too many 9-year-old girls share.  They both battled a nasty disease that threatened to take their childhood from them.  They both ended up here in the most amazing place for treatment.  And they both beat it, and will continue to heal and flourish for the rest of their lives.
Kendra's mom captioned this photo - V for Victory!

Tonight we had the pleasure of going to dinner with Kendra and her parents.  We were able to chat about where they live and where we used to live in California.  And I am learning that coincidences simply don't exist.
We ended the night going to an arcade with the girls.  Bella deserved a night of fun after being cooped up for 2 weeks in a hotel room.  But these two weeks have certainly been a blessing for us as mother and daughter.  Bella had some serious individual attention that she hasn't had since the birth of her brother 7 years ago.  I know that both of us grew closer and we will remember this time of healing together forever.

I wonder what it must be like for these doctors to walk this path they've been given.  How awesome it must be at the end of a treatment period to hear that well bell and know that they've given someone their life back.  Yet they manage to be humble and kind healers.   They have a gift that constantly changes lives for good.  I am in awe of the work that God has done through these men and the staff at the Hansa Center.

I was glad that today wasn't really "good-bye" but rather, "see you later."  We will be back in July, and I will be so much stronger then.  And then it will be time to write Luca's chapter of the Hansa Story for our family.

I can't thank you enough for following our journey... for the prayers, encouragement, and well wishes that were sent our way.  Chronicling our progress each day was a challenge, but I didn't do this to bring attention to myself.  Those of you who know me know that I have been rather silent about my battle with Lyme - and many people never even knew about my struggle.  I decided to blog this experience to bring hope to others who are struggling in the same way.  Since starting this a couple of weeks ago, I have received many messages and e-mail from people relating their own battles... asking questions, and even encouraging me in spite of their own illnesses.  It's been humbling to be able to shine some light on this very dark and hidden epidemic.  Finally, I did this to encourage others to wait on the Lord.  I have been dealing with this for a long time, and praying for my miracle.  And I give God the glory for making it a reality.  So until the next update, I will leave you with this...

Thanks for checking in :)

No comments: