Monday, October 23, 2006

Sanctuary


Where have all the playpens gone? If you've tried to find one, and I don't mean a tiny pack-and-play thing, but one of the old, big, good ones, you'll be hard-pressed.
Because we have hardwood floors and a brick fireplace hearth, and Luca is constantly on the move, I thought that a playpen might be a good idea. On my internet search for a big one like we had when we were kids, I realized that the only one like that I was going to find would be a truly old one on ebay. I also learned that for some reason, playpens have become "policitally incorrect" in many progressive circles. How dare we pen up our children and forget about them? Would we actually get something done around our house or get dinner prepared, rather than constantly entertain the little lovelies? If any of you have tried making dinner with a 21 lb. infant on your hip, you'll realize that the chiropracter will soon be your best friend, not to mention that the stove probably isn't the best place for your little chef to hang out.
The bottom line is, I found this great 6-sided playpen by Kettler, swiped Luca up as he was about to hit his face off of the brick hearth, and voila.... he was in his own little soft and safe sanctuary. The safety advantage is obvious, but this little guy is actually learning to PLAY. No, I'm not supermom. I can't always entertain my 2-year old and my 7 month old every minute of the day. Hence, the playpen. I have peace of mind knowing if I have to do something for a few minutes, Luca is safe, and he loves it!
Bring back the playpens!

No comments: