Friday, December 14, 2007

Keeping it Simple

As some may know, we have nicknamed our youngest child, Luca, "Destructor."
This is why, to my sad dismay, that we had to keep the Christmas decorating simple this year. Rather than our 2 trees, we decided to do one - the smallest one. We also put it on carpet rather than our hard floor, just in case one of the bulbs "fell" or landed there.
It turned out to be a good decision. Although Luca was very excited and curious about the tree, he obeyed pretty well when we told him not to touch it. However, during one busy moment, I failed to notice him taking off one of the bulbs. I heard a crash and realized that he threw (yes, threw) one of my oldest ornaments against the hearth. He must have thought that that Pitt Ornament that was given to me before I ever even studied at the University of Pittsburgh was a ball. I cleaned up the glass, called Keith, and cried.
Now all I have left of it is in this picture, and I am now very diligent about watching the two little lovelies like a hawk when they are near our very modest, very homey and cherished little tree.

We've also heard that here on the west coast, some homes with children that will be traveling east for Christmas will be getting a visit from Santa this weekend. We'll keep you posted!

No comments: